Saturday, November 14, 2009

Four out of five not bad! A visit to the Maasai Mara


























Today will likely be remembered as one of the most memorable of my life. We took a flight from the port of Mombasa, Kenya to a remote airstrip in the Maasai Mara…perhaps the most famous game reserve in Africa. En route we passed Mt. Kilimanjaro, the highest peak in Africa. It is pictured on this blog entry.

Once we landed we entered open-air jeeps and began our game drive. I would have been a happy to see 1/10 of the animals we saw so needless to say I was very pleased. I took hundreds of photos but have only displayed a small number of them here. We saw four of the “big five”. The one we did not see was the leopard. Even though we missed seeing that cat, we had an incredible day. Many people asked me to share my photos with them, so I was honored to hear their compliments.

As part of our tour we spent some time with the Maasai people. I too have pictured a few of them.

Be sure to note my t-shirt. I am a member of MWRJ (Men without Real Jobs). I’ve taken photos all over the world in my MWRJ shirt…here I’m pictured with my friend the warthog…a good symbol of my trip to Africa. You are looking at the Executive Vice President of MWRJ. Sounds impressive? Well actually anyone who joins MWRJ through their website
www.mwrj.com becomes an executive vice president.

It was an incredible day which I will never forget.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous Carl!!! Brings back wonderful memories for me and am just so happy we can now talk "Africa" AND "India" together with an understanding of these two incredible destinations! No worries about the leopard - this is the one animal most do not see on safari unless very lucky! The elusive leopard! Continue safe journey! Big hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great pictures Uncle Carl. Were you very close to the animals or are you using a great zoom lens?

    ReplyDelete