Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Cochin, India--Boat Race










Today we were in Cochin, India. The cruise line arranged for us to see a very special event where nine teams of men race on a boat down a canal. Each boat holds 111 paddlers and crew. The setting was in a remote village over an hour’s drive from our port. As I departed the ship I took this photo of her bow. Along the way we saw many different villages and glimpses of how many in India live.

The race was held in several heats with two final races for the championship and presentation of the first Regent Trophy, awarded by the cruise line. I took hundreds of photos of the races and the faces. Only a few are presented here. The “green” team won. I am shown in a photo with a few of the winning crew.

Excellent event. Another great experience filled with color and the colorful people of India.

1 comment:

  1. Cochin, India - from your photos and blog entry looked to be an awesome experience. I love all the photos and how you have captured the indigenous people of India so well. I can't wait to hear more about your travels in this country when you return home.

    It's so great we can communicate via your blog. I'm now your #1 fan of "Carl's Cruise Capers." What an adventure!!! I can't wait to read about what happens next.

    ReplyDelete