Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Farewell to India...I leave a changed man...I hope

Here is one of the sunset shots from my verandah.

Today I also listened to one of our lecturers about India. I was surprised to hear about this country…especially having spent most of my last week here. The reactions of the people on board were interesting for me to hear. Many were sorry we visited India. I loved it. What an incredible place. My friends who had been here before me said it was not something you can describe. You almost have to experience it. They were right. You must have an open mind. You must see the people…not the poverty; Experience the spirit, not the smell. Some of my fellow passengers did not understand that.

The lecturer told us many amazing facts….I was not writing them down, but a few stuck in my mind.


· India is about one third the size of the United States but has four times the number of people.
· More than 75% of the people in India make less than $2 per day
· Over 800 million people in India do not have a flushing toilet
· Hundreds of languages are spoken in India

Farewell to India. I have many vivid images…within my memory, my camera and my soul. This country changed me. I hope that change lasts.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Carl....I am just SO pleased you feel about India the way I do. You know how much I loved India and cannot wait to go back. There is just something about it's people and places that, with an open heart, embrace your soul. We'll have lots to talk about......enjoy the cruise and ALL your friends!!!!

    ReplyDelete