Sunday, November 1, 2009

Elephanta Island--Day two in Mumbai







Day two in Mumbai is almost over. After this post I will take another walk along the sea wall and watch the sunset with the hundreds of residents who do the same thing. Today I went with my guide Ragini (pictured with me) on a one-hour boat ride to Elephanta Island. This post shows some of the photos I took along the way.
The island is known for its caves. We toured and Ragini gave me the background of all of the sculptures in the caves. When we came out there were dozens of monkeys running around. I have included just two of the dozens of photos I took. If you had food in your hand, the monkeys would literally grab it from you and run up a tree.
The large buildings you see are the "Gateway to India" and behind it is the famous Taj Hotel...this is where, sadly, a bomb killed many people, just under a year ago. The hotel in which I'm staying was also bombed. Being in the travel business, I asked Ragini if she would take me in to tour the Taj. It too is a beautiful property.
Another photo was taken when I got back to my room. I looked out the window and realized that I could see my cruise ship which arrived in Mumbai today. I will board the ship tomorrow and start another chapter of this journey. I'll say farewell to Mumbai, but will always remember this place.

3 comments:

  1. Carl, great pictures! How is the food? Having some lamb and tiki chiken? Stay safe and be well! Love, Book

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Book. I'm playing it safe and eating only in my hotel. Not much of a curry fan, if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos! You're trip so far looks to be fabulous. So happy to hear you're enjoying yourself!

    ReplyDelete