Saturday, November 7, 2009

Crossing the Equator--From Polliwog to Shellback




Today we are in our second consecutive day at sea since leaving the Maldives. We have been told that due to the high headwinds and strong currents we will be late into our first stop in the Seychelles. Therefore our shore excursions have been canceled. Too bad as it was a snorkeling adventure…the one shore excursion (other than my Kenya safari) to which I was looking most forward. Oh well…it will take a lot for anything to ruin this great trip. (Not even Nanci Pelosi’s bill…oh wait. I wasn’t going to get political, was I?)

Yesterday we crossed the equator. I have now gone from Polliwog to Shellback status (the former being one who has never crossed the equator via ship the latter being one who has). They had a ceremony poolside to initiate those who were first timers. I have a photo of King Neptune (Jean-Michel Cousteau) and others...including our captain (same haircut as me) during the ceremony. Thankfully I don’t have a photo of my initiation.

Interesting to see the ship’s log say O degrees latitude. Also interesting to see the sunset and sunrise times be exactly twelve hours apart…6:08 am and pm. Look at the brilliant colors of our sunset on the equator. The clouds looked different than any I’ve seen before, although that is probably not the case.

Tonight I have the cocktail party for the group I’m “hosting”. Often I lead groups of my own clients. This is a group of other travel agents’ clients…so I’ve been on board with them for several days and don’t even know which people on the ship are part of the group I’m hosting. I will meet them all this evening. They remain clients of the other travel agencies but I am here to greet them, host a welcome party, a private shore excursion and see that they have a good time throughout the cruise.

I have the advantage of being an Ensemble Travel Group agency…I too can book my clients into sailings where another travel agent will be their host…making sure they have a good time, a complimentary shore excursion and a welcome party. For more information on hosted cruises, feel free to contact me. I will be hosting one next year to the Arctic—at the northern tip of Norway. I also hope to lead groups on a 10-night Tahiti cruise, a Crystal cruise from Sydney to Singapore, a land package to Machu Picchu along with a cruise to the Galapagos and other trips. Hope you will consider joining me!

1 comment:

  1. Zero degree latitude... and King Neptune. Priceless!! Thanks for updating your travel blog so often.

    ReplyDelete