Thursday, December 24, 2009

Who are all of those guys in tuxedos?


























































































































































































Guess I should have worn my tuxedo on the ship tonight. After all, I was around all of these guys and ladies today who were wearing them!



What an incredible day. After a long two and a half-hour drive through somewhat boring terrain, we arrived at the Punta Tombo Nature Reserve. This spectacular setting is home for the largest gathering of penguins on the South American mainland. It is said that there are about 800,000 penguins here at the peak of the season.


I took hundreds of photos. I’ve tried to include some of the best in this entry. You can see some of the families in their nests. There was virtually a nest under every shrub in this area which goes for miles. Each male and female penguin hatch two eggs (generally) per year. You can see the babies as those who look “fluffy” and are almost entirely gray.


If you look at some of these photos you can see penguins on the next ridge beyond those seen close up. They were everywhere and were not shy when it came to walking right up to us humans. Perhaps the most enjoyable thing was watching them walk. You could almost hear them saying things like:


“Gosh…I guess it’s time to start the long trek down to the water for lunch” or


“I wish all of these people would just leave us alone and give us a little privacy” or


“Hey you with the telephoto….I’m here posing for you. Hey you! Hey! Geeesh!”


Their waddle is hilarious. What an incredible time!


You can also see a couple of photos of guanacos…llama-like creatures with faces like a kangaroo. All in all a wonderful day in Argentina. I think I like the nature and scenic stops more than the big city stops.


Thanks, Mr. and Mrs. Penguin for being stand-ins for my family and friends this Christmas Eve.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Carl,

    As you might have guessed, it is easier for me to post as anonymous than to try and hassle with my google account. Don't know what's going on this round of travel blogging?? So yes, it's really me.

    It's the 27th of December (Sunday night). What a great win for USC last night. I stopped by the Frith abode for the first half and enjoyed visiting with Linda, Bill, Stefanie, James and Eddie. It was nice to see old friends. I wish I could have stayed longer, but was needed at Kabodee Central by 7:00 pm. I was able to watch most of the fourth quarter, very exciting game. Happy to see the Trojans ended the season on a winning note.

    While I was at the Frith home, I mentioned the fact that Lou Holtz was a dead ringer for Granny Clampett. I got such a hilarious reaction, I started laughing myself. I guess when you know Dr. Lou as Granny all these months, it becomes second nature. Ha Ha.

    Your travel blog is so fantastic. Thank you for such wonderful photos and prose.

    Spectacular! I just loved the photos of the penguins. I'm so glad these are friendly penguins and alive, not plastic. Ha Ha.

    The photos you took are magnificant. You really have such a great blog. I haven't visited the site for several days. I so so looked forward to reading your travel highlights tonight while all the grandchildren were asleep. You trip is awesome. What fun you must be having.

    I got your separate email - Merry Christmas wishes and the photo with the Santa hat and pengiuns in the background is priceless. What a memory. You must make that photo into a Christmas ornament. It made me laugh and smile and miss you all in the same thought.

    I loved seeing the photos of Montevideo. Very nice photos of the city, even if the port was ho-hum.

    Thank you so very much for continuing to write your travel blog. I have truly enjoyed reading every line and paragraph (re-reading them several times).

    I hope you had a nice Christmas and were able to reflect on the true meaning of the holiday. I think we all did a little of that this year.

    Happy New Year! Thanks for your continued friendship throughout all these years. Looking forward to more good times in 2010. In honor of the Rose Parade, I bid you a fond "Permissio!"

    Best wishes!!

    Your friend,

    Tracy Hattingh

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks a whole lot better than the blizzard we had in Kansas City on 12/24 and 12/25!!! Excellent photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carl,
    Great photos!!! These penguins are SO adorable! Are they Fairy Penguins? There are so many types of penguins, but not sure of this type. I love nature too - but, cities have a whole different type of wildlife onto itself! It all is good, isn't it!!! Enjoy!
    Happy & Healthy New Year! Gail

    ReplyDelete