Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Crystal vs. Regent -- On-Board Communication

In this comparison, I will mention three parts of the on-board communication experiences I have had on the Regent Seven Seas Voyager and the Crystal Symphony.

1)  Movies--I enjoyed catching up on some of the classics while on the Voyager using the movies on demand feature.  It was great to be able to watch part of a movie, go to an event and then pick up the movie where you left off.   This was a great feature.  I don't believe the Symphony has that feature.  Both ships had an extensive DVD library as well where passengers can watch movies from the comfort of their room.

2)  Television Options--I found the television station options very limited on the Voyager.  I am a huge sports fan and was traveling on the Voyager during college football season.  I, and many others on board, were very disappointed that there were very few football games available on the ship.  We did get a glipse occasionally on ESPN, when it was available. 

I know I'm biased with my USC football.  (Perhaps I should see the lack of coverage as a blessing...I missed USC's two worst losses in over a decade while I was on board.  I rarely miss a home game in a normal season...but was glad to be on the other side of the world for these two games!)   I was not the only one missing football, however.  There were avid Alabama, UCLA and Notre Dame--and other fans on board as well.

On the other hand, aboard the Crystal Symphony I had not one but TWO ESPN channels.  In the first two days of my cruise I have been able to watch several college football bowl games and my parents' Jayhawks in basketball. (Go Uncle Phog!) 

Both ships had Fox News as well as CNN (thank you both cruise lines...if you have one you must have the other...as those who watch one usually can't tolerate the other!)

3)  E-mail Satellite Service.  I am actually drafting this entry aboard the Crystal Symphony.  Since we left our first port, I have been very impressed with the accessibility and speed of the satellite and e-mail service.   I know on the Voyager, I used a great deal of my paid "minutes" logging on and being kicked out of the system.  I know this may not be a fair analysys as it could have a lot to do with the weather, the location of the ship, etc. 

I am well aware that there are places on the globe where the ships will get no satellite reception.  During our time in Antarctica and the Chilean fjords we have been told we will have none.  I understand this and it is just a fact of life. 

For those who have never traveled on a ship, you should know that you will never experience the same speeds you do at home as this is a satellite connection, not a "plugged in" high-speed connection. 

When I consider all three factors of communcations mentioned in this entry I have to give this point to Crystal Cruises!

1 comment:

  1. Carl,

    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas. contiue to enjoy your cruise and all the wonderful places you will visit.

    Fondly,

    Tracy

    ReplyDelete