Friday, January 1, 2010

Port Stanley Falkland Islands Hike




























































































When I saw the Falkland Islands as part of our itinerary I didn’t put it on my list as one of the places I’ve always wanted to see. But what a great day we had there! The weather was beautiful.



I didn’t sign up for one of the cruise ship’s shore excursions. After taking the ship’s tender to shore I found a woman who drove a family of three and one of the ship’s crew to a place called Gypsy Cove. All of us wanted the drive there but agreed to walk the 4-7 miles back. It was a beautiful walk.


There was a bit of irony among the great scenery…that was the warnings of possible mines left along our path…an aftermath of the wars which had been fought on these islands.


Among the things we saw were penguins, a family of geese, a family of ducks, shipwrecks, colorful birds and many times of plants. It was a beautiful walk and a very nice morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment