Saturday, January 2, 2010

Antarctica...Day one. I've now reached all seven continents!









































According to those who have been in Antarctica on other cruises, we were very, very, very lucky with regard to weather and seas.



Our itinerary took us to Antarctica for three days. Though there were clouds all three days, there was also blue sky and sunshine. Each day the scenery got more and more spectacular.


Since I took hundreds of photos, those posted here represent just a peek at what we saw. Most of the passengers were in awe throughout the three days. I am writing these words as we sail back to South America. I think everyone feels a bit of a letdown because we were so overwhelmed with beauty over the last few days.


In addition to the scenery you will notice that we saw a lot of wildlife. One particular night I was dining with a family that has adopted me on board. We sat in front of a picture window and a huge iceberg floated by. On it were penguins. We were amazed…then the whales came by. It was an incredible dinner…one I will always remember.


Because I have so many photos of Antarctica, I will likely do several posts. In this first post, be sure to look for the three whale spouts that are in line with the reflection of the sun during one of our 11:00 pm sunsets.


Also pictured is a photo of me with one of our lecturers on board, Rex Ziak. Rex was also a lecturer on my Columbia River cruise several years ago. On that cruise he lectured about Lewis and Clark. On this cruise he is teaching us about the voyages of Captain James Cook.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! What incredible pictures. I wish I could be there! I can't wait to see more pictures later. Hola to Chile from me.

    ReplyDelete